PUSH4help
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Press Release for Homeless Awareness Event

Go down

Press Release for Homeless Awareness Event Empty Press Release for Homeless Awareness Event

Post  Robert Thu 22 Jan - 16:13:42

Contact Mike Parkinson Kilbourne -For immediate release.-
Sevado_01@yahoo.com 269-615-0423

"WMU hosts Forum for Kalamazoo's Homeless"

On February 3rd, 2009, the Western Michigan University Anthropology Department, students and faculty, will host an "Homeless Awareness Forum", with P.U.S.H., a grass roots community organization founded by people who are homeless, and formerly homeless people who work with the homeless thru Kalamazoo's Nonprofit community.
The Event is an opportunity for those living in poverty to speak out.

The Event will be held in room G0111 at Moore Hall on the Western Michigan University campus, Tuesday, February 3rd, at 6:00 PM.

The event will include a "homeless simulation" that all will be encouraged to participate. Guest speakers will include the homeless, formerly homeless and Kalamazoo's homeless non-profit service providers.

WMU has been a long standing partner to the Kalamazoo community in many ways. At the Homeless Awareness event, WMU will join with homeless leaders working together to change hearts and minds.
Target: Housing for the homeless, getting the homeless off the streets, out of the shelters and productive again.

Lena Haynes has known homelessness and what downward spiral poverty can be. "When I was staying at the Mission, I did not know what services were available. I was in a scary place with no safety net. Some other homeless people took me under their wing and showed me where to go."
Since then, Lena has been an advocate. Showing others where to find help, and even organizing the local homeless for "just and dignified" housing. "As president of P.U.S.H. (People United to Secure Housing), I am in a position to make systemic change for the homeless in Kalamazoo, helping people get their own apartments and less people on the streets and emergency shelters." Says Lena, who has been in her own apartment for over a year.

Michael Parkinson-Kilbourne, (P.U.S.H. board member), is formerly homeless, he also wants to see change. "I am tired of elected officials who say, 'it's not my problem'. We have to make systemic change in this city by dignified means. When a community issue like affordable housing reaches crises level, it becomes a civic responsibility. We are here to make sure the local politicians and administrators heed that responsibility. We are not going to leave them alone until this crisis is solved."

P.U.S.H.'s mission is to advocate affordable housing to eradicate homelessness and to advise, inform, and help the homeless use Kalamazoo's non-profit service providers.
More information on P.U.S.H. can be found at: https://push4help.forumotion.com or http://push4help.org

WMU and P.U.S.H. strongly encourage participation from the community at large.
Robert
Robert
PUSH Member

Back to top Go down

Press Release for Homeless Awareness Event Empty directions for Moore Hall

Post  Robert Sat 31 Jan - 14:44:40

http://maps.pp.wmich.edu/image.pl?Coord=821,931&Show=047&Zoom=4&Campus=KaMai

Directions From Stadium Drive:
Take Howard Street north. Turn right on S. VandeGiessen, then right on Western Ave. Turn left on N. VandeGiessen.
Entrance Front Door

The Event will be held in room G0111 at Moore Hall on the Western Michigan University campus, Tuesday, February 3rd, at 6:00 PM.

Visitor Parking Parking Lot 71
Robert
Robert
PUSH Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum